The Italian Chapel

Submit a new image

Reference WMO265773

Address:

Lamb Holm

Orkney

Scotland

Open large map
Edit memorial name, location & address
Status: On original site
Type: Freestanding
Location: External
Setting: Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
Description: Chapel/church
Materials:
  • Metal Iron
  • Stone Stone (any)
Lettering: Painted
Conflicts:
  • Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial: After the sinking of the Royal Oak in Scapa Flow with the loss of 834 lives, Churchill ordered the construction of defences to prevent a repetition. About 1100 Italian PoWs were imported to assist with the work with half at a camp on Lamb Holm. They were not happy in this environment until a more sympathetic camp commandant, Major Buckland, took over. He liaised with the resident Roman Catholic priest, Father Giacobazzi, to provide two Nissen huts for conversion into a chapel, which was then richly decorated by the prisoners, led by Domenico Chiocchetti. Full details of the decoration and history can be found on the links provided, together with 26 photos on the IWM Register entry
Edit memorial details
Report this condition update

View more details

On the St George slaying the dragon statue outside of the chapel: P.di.C./ ITALIANI/ li 7 - 8 - 1943/

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required