On original site
Inside a building - public/private
- First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial:
Marble Tablet with inscribed lettering. The dedication and epitaph are in gold. The names are in 2 columns, divided by a Latin cross. This United Presbyterian Church opened its doors in 1860. The building was vacated by the congregation in the late 1970's and eventually was acquired by the Ayr Common Good Fund. In 1986 the building was converted to a theatre and was the operational base for the Borderline Theatre company. Due to difficulties obtaining funding the theatre closed its doors in 2009. South Ayrshire Council is now responsible for maintaining this Grade B listed building. So far as is known this building remains empty (late 2018) although there are plans to convert it into a columbarium. (c IWM Register) This entry should be read in conjunction with WMO 266201 which appears to be a replacement in a new location. The IWM Register entry and the SWMP entry both refer to a paper Roll of Honour from 1915 which seems no longer to exist, its former existence only inferred from a single newspaper article.
Edit memorial details