St Andrew's Church WW1 + WW2

Submit a new image

Reference WMO266218

Address:

St Andrew's Parish Church

Park Circus

Ayr

Scotland

Open large map
Edit memorial name, location & address
Status: On original site
Type: Non freestanding
Location: Internal
Setting: Inside a building - public/private
Description: Board/Plaque/ Tablet
Materials:
  • Metal Brass
  • Stone Portland stone
Lettering: Incised
Conflicts:
  • First World War (1914-1918)
  • Second World War (1939-1945)
About the memorial: A Brass Plaque for WW1 and another directly below for WW2 on a combined mottled green backboard. At top centre of the WW1 plaque is a small domed head in which there is a Brass plaque with a figure in relief of St Andrew, and around the edges the words "SAINT ANDREWS UNITED FREE CHURCH"- this is because at the time of WW1 this was a United Free Church but became Church of Scotland after re-unification in 1932. (c IWM Register). The two plaques could be deemed to be separate memorials but their enclosure within the same marble surround unites them. See full set of photos on SWMP website link.
Edit memorial details
Report this condition update

View more details

TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF/THE MEN OF THIS CHURCH WHO FELL/IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918/[names in 2 columns]/THEY DIED FOR US AND IN THE WORLD WAR 1930-1945/[names in 2 columns]

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required

Information Required