On original site
Within a garden/park/churchyard/enclosure/Marketplace
Addition to Gravestone
- First World War (1914-1918)
About the memorial:
Addition to family gravestone, which is a Celtic cross on a tapered plinth and a base.
London Gazette Date:10 May 1918 Issue number: 30681 Page number: 5695-
Lt. John Kyle, M.C., R.F.A., Spec. Res.-
For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty as forward observation officer. Though wounded early in the day he observed from the front line during a heavy bombardment, which continued throughout the day until the enemy attacked towards evening. The telephone wire was continually cut, and he several times went out and repaired it under heavy fire. Finding it impossible to maintain the line, he went backwards and forwards to the nearest point of the buried cable, and thereby maintained a valuable supply of information. On each occasion he crossed some 500 yards of open ground under heavy fire. When the observation post was damaged by a shell he continued to observe from a shell hole during the day and the following night. It was due to his splendid courage and resource that group headquarters were kept supplied with valuable information.
(M.C. gazetted 1st January, 1917.)
Wigtownshire Free Press (11 January 1917) reported: We are pleased to note that Lieut John S Kyle, 3rd East Yorks, commanding Trench Mortar Battery, has been awarded the Military Cross for conspicuous service in the field. Lieut Kyle, who was a member of the Officers' Training Corps in Glasgow, enlisted as a private in the Commercial Battalion of the HLI on the outbreak of war, but was shortly afterwards gazetted as Second Lieutenant to the East Yorks Regiment. Lieut Kyle is the only son of Mr Thomas Kyle, of Messrs Craig and Kyle, drapers, Stranraer.
and 20 May 1918: Mr T Kyle (of Messrs Craig and Kyle, drapers, Stranraer) has received official intimation that his son, Lieut J. S. Kyle, RFA, MC, DSO, died at the 3rd Canadian Stationary Hospital, on 22nd May, of wounds received in action. Lieut Kyle, who was a member of the Officers' Training Corps in Glasgow, enlisted as a private in the Commercial Battalion of the HLI at the outbreak of war, but was shortly afterwards gazetted to the East Yorks Regiment. Subsequently he was promoted to a full lieutenant, and transferred to the RFA Spec. Res. In January 1917, he was awarded the Military Cross, for conspicuous service in the field, and a fortnight ago it was officially announced that he had been awarded the Distinguished Service Order, in recognition of his gallantry and devotion to duty as a forward observation officer. Prior to joining the Army he was engaged in business in Glasgow.
Edit memorial details